Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

Don't Miss It

Recently a friend of mine wrote a blog article about how her ex-husband has missed so many of their 4 children's life events, big and small.

It made me think ... a lot!  I have been parenting by myself since 1997.  My children are now 19 and 23.  I was there through EVERY event, big and small.  And you know what?  I was not able to enjoy everything!  Sad, I know, but let me explain.  When you're sitting at your son's basketball game or your daughter's volleyball game, or watching and helping your daughter get ready for prom, or dining with your son at his prom dinner (because his date backed out), your (my) mind isn't always just in the moment.  In fact, it's hardly in the moment at all. 

I've spent so much of my children's growing up years trying to figure out how to balance life, wondering how I'm going to put gas in my car so we can travel to the next activity/game/church, making sure I have a little extra to buy groceries, etc.  My children learned the value of shopping thrift stores (we still do), and how to make many, many meals from 1 whole roasted chicken. 

I wonder whether my memories would be different if I hadn't needed to concentrate on everything else, and just be able to enjoy the moment.

We did make many great memories, though!!  My kids can tell you that ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment